It has been well over a month since we said we would launch Squidwolf Magazine and we are finally getting there. There has been a lot of discussion about this project, mainly on Facebook, and it is all very fragmented so if you are serious about joining the project (and getting paid) then follow these simple steps.
Working on Squidwolf Magazine
Stage 1: Create an account on Squidwolf.com
We are working on Connect With Facebook and by the time you read this you should already be able to bypass the registration process by using your Facebook account to login.
Edit: Facebook Connect is STILL broken, sorry!
Area A – Your Profile
Navigate to the profile settings area and fill in your profile. Make sure you tick Magazine in the Squidwolf area of your profile so we know to send you news updates to your email account.
You must upload an avatar to your profile or your account will be rejected.
Area B – The Forums
Three step process for this
- Say hello in the Squidwolf Magazine board.
- Invite three other people to create accounts with us who you think might also be interested in working on the magazine.
- Let us know (via the forums) that you’ve invited some peeps!
Area C – The Magazine Group
- Request membership in the Magazine Group. This is the official group for the magazine project where we will all be talking to each other, sharing article ideas, and uploading material.
- Those who are particularly helpful to the project will be promoted to Moderator inside the group.
- If you are a shining example of being a good Squidwolf Citizen then when the magazine is launched you might be instantly made an Editor.
Stage 2 – The Private ALPHA
A – The ALPHA begins on 11 November 2014.
So what is this? Well the website is almost done and we have added our entire back catalog of material from the “old” magazine onto the website. The Private ALPHA is where we all take part in testing the website and REPORTING BUGS!
B – Bug Reporting
If you find something wrong with the Squidwolf Magazine Website then you should report it on our forum so our developers know to fix the problem. Bonus points for a good bug report!
Stage 3 – The Private BETA
A – The BETA begins on 15 December 2014.
This is where the group members themselves can invite their friends to get early access to the magazine. This expands our visitors and helps us to stress-test the website, get feedback from them (what they like, what they hate), and find new topics to cover editorially.
Stage 4 – The Public BETA
The Magazine is opened to the public on 5 January 2015.
Your first thought is probably “why not sooner?”. Well if the BETA only begins on the 20 October and Squidwolf Syndicate is closed between 19 December – 5 January, it seems silly to open a new product to the public around the christmas period and then completely stop working on it right after you do it.
Stage 5 – Monetisation
Our payment model
It goes something like this!
- The magazine will be supported by advertising.
- For every 1,000 hits an article gets, a payout is made.
- The author of that article gets 70% of the revenue made on that article.
- Potion Forest keeps 30%.
- Additional earnings can be made on the forums of Squidwolf Magazine (not the forums on squidwolf.com).
When does this start?
We will start the monetisation within two expansions. We won’t be running ads on the site initially, we will be focusing on generating content first. Once we have around 100 articles then AdSense code will be injected into the site.
Each content creator will having his/her own code to distinguish between earnings.
What about copyright?
All content creators will have full rights over their content. Yes, really! We will be writing a “Creator’s Charter” to outline this.
What is the catch?
The only catch is that you can’t copy pasta. That is, write for us and also post the same content elsewhere. For example if you have a personal blog and you write an article and then also want to publish it on Squidwolf Magazine, the first must not be available to the internet.
Other fun stories
Our new website
Even if you aren’t going to write for Squidwolf Magazine we would still like to urge you to register on Squidwolf.com where you can give us feedback on our shiny new website!